Set your notification preferences here: Notifications.
Director of Individual Giving
Everyone who works at World Food Program USA shares one crucial thing in common: a belief that hunger is the world’s most solvable problem. We believe that the U.S. can play a big part in making the dream of zero hunger a reality.
If you, too, share those ideals and want to make a difference, check out our openings. We are an organization that values mission-driven and team-oriented colleagues.
Want to be a part of what we do to make the world a better place? Join us today by applying below.
The Director, Individual Giving is a key member of the development team, reporting to the Vice President, Development. The Director, Individual Giving will take primary responsibility for developing and implementing a strategic plan to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward individual donors at all giving levels, and will personally manage relationships with a portfolio of major donors and major gift prospects. The position is also responsible for managing a team of individual giving staff dedicated to reaching the Board-approved financial goals each year.
The Director, Individual Giving will work in concert with the Director, Digital Fundraising and Engagement to set annual goals, and to develop and implement an organization-wide individual giving strategy (and ability to meet or exceed these goals).
- Ability to meet or exceed annual individual revenue goals
- Provide leadership for mid-level and major gifts and planned giving programs, resulting in a comprehensive plan to meet long- and short-term organizational goals.
- Responsible for providing timely individual giving reports to WFP USA’s Senior Team and to the Development Committee.
- Work in collaboration with WFP colleagues on initiatives that generate revenue from individuals in the United States, as needed.
- Provide guidance on best practices for ethical solicitation of funds from individuals.
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement, commitment to quality, and respect for philanthropy.
Donor Program Development
- Oversee the development of donor-centric cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship programs for individuals at all levels, including mid-level and major gifts, planned giving, and direct mail, and for online fundraising in concert with the Digital team.
- Conduct regular, segmented analysis of individual giving programs, and develop effective strategies for acquiring, renewing, and upgrading donors at various levels.
- Work with Development and Communications teams to ensure that newsletters, annual report, other print collateral, website, and social media contain donor-focused information that recognizes donors and inspires others to give.
- In cooperation with Operations team, develop systems for managing donor programs in WFP USA databases.
- Supervise staff to ensure that all donors and donor interactions are tracked accurately, and that all individual gifts are acknowledged appropriately.
Relationship Management & Solicitation
- Directly manage a portfolio of major gift donors and prospects.
- Lead efforts to steward existing relationships with major and planned giving donors, and identify and secure new donors.
- Guide solicitation strategy of individual prospects for Senior staff and members of the Board of Directors, as needed.
- Oversee and implement a comprehensive stewardship program. Activities include meetings, phone calls, letters, email, event attendance, timely responses to donor inquiries, and appropriate acknowledgement of gifts.
- Identify gift opportunities that match donors’ interests and design personalized solicitation strategies, mindful of giving vehicles.
- Produce and/or manage written solicitations, acknowledgments, special correspondence, and stewardship reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, along with 5-10 years of experience in development with successful track record of securing major gifts from individuals.
- Proven success in providing strategic direction and daily management of fundraising initiatives.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Knowledge and experience using various fundraising and prospect software/tools.
- Able to apply strategic and creative thinking.
- Collaborative and energetic work style, superior people skills and the ability to motivate and delegate.
- Knowledge of planned giving preferred.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally for cultivation or solicitation purposes.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter (including salary requirements), resume and two writing samples (no more than two pages each) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director, Individual Giving” in the subject line. No relocation assistance provided. No phone calls or agencies please.
World Food Program USA is a nonprofit organization that builds support in the United States to end global hunger. WFP USA engages individuals and organizations, shapes public policy and generates resources for the United Nations World Food Program and other hunger relief operations.
WFP USA is an equal opportunity employer.